- Ohio, 2008
- U.S. District Courts:
-Northern District of Ohio
-Northern District of Georgia
-Middle District of Georgia
-Eastern District of Michigan
University of Toledo College of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 2001
Indiana State University, B.S. (Biochemistry), 1998
“I pride myself on finding pragmatic and creative legal solutions that help my clients succeed and achieve their goals.”
Scott A. Johnson, member of Eastman & Smith and chair of the Real Estate Practice Group, concentrates his practice in the areas of transactional real estate, business related matters, real estate related litigation and intellectual property law. Prior to joining Eastman & Smith, Mr. Johnson practiced law in Atlanta, Georgia, focusing on commercial and real estate related litigation in both state and federal courts as well as protection of intellectual property rights.
In his current practice, Mr. Johnson represents clients primarily in Ohio and Michigan, including real estate development and investment, brokerage, financial, construction and manufacturing businesses. He has experience representing clients in all aspects of commercial real estate, including:
- contract and lease negotiations;
- real estate acquisition assemblage and development;
- real estate dispositions;
- construction contracts;
- economic development incentive programs;
- negotiation of oil and gas leases;
- negotiation and preparation of loan documentation;
- land use;
- annexation; and
- zoning and planning.
Additionally, Mr. Johnson has successfully represented clients in real estate related disputes pending in both state and federal court.
Mr. Johnson also assists and counsels clients with respect to their intellectual property rights, including:
- copyright protection of architectural plans, designs and other original works; and
- protection of trademarks and trade secrets.
Mr. Johnson regularly speaks at seminars directed to real estate professionals and clients, and occasionally other lawyers, on subjects such as land contracts, lease options, real estate and construction due diligence, construction contracts and ethics for real estate professionals. He also addresses evolving topics such as COVID-19.
A 2001 magna cum laude graduate from the University of Toledo College of Law, Mr. Johnson is a published member of The University of Toledo Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif. As an undergraduate at Indiana State University, Mr. Johnson studied biochemistry.
A devoted father of two and husband, Mr. Johnson enjoys spending time with his family. In his spare time, Mr. Johnson is an avid fan of all types of music and loves attending live performances and concerts. Mr. Johnson also enjoys SCUBA diving and wakeboarding.
- Obtained a jury verdict against vendor of real estate for breach of warranty of title.
- Assisted with road vacations and closures, acquisition of permits and entitlements, and negotiation of water and sewer agreements for an intermodal railroad project with national implications.
- Assisted with the negotiation and implementation of conservation easement covering historic lands.
- Obtained dismissal of nuisance abatement proceedings against commercial recycling company.
- Assisted with the reduction of the assessed value of commercial real estate before the county board of revisions.
Honors & Affiliations
Mr. Johnson is the past president on the Board of Directors for Neighborhood Properties, Inc., a non-profit organization with the mission of finding a way to end homelessness for persons with serious mental illness and addiction disorders. He also serves on the Board of Directors for the Home Builders Association of Greater Toledo, Inc., a non-profit dedicated to promoting and enhancing the professionalism of the building industry in Northwest Ohio. In addition to these board positions, Mr. Johnson participates on the Toledo Zoo's Development Committee, the Caring Friends of Toledo Children's Hospital's Danberry Treasure Chest Funding Committee and serves on various committees at Christ Presbyterian Church.
Through Eastman & Smith, Mr. Johnson is an active affiliate member of the International Council of Shopping Centers and Northwest Ohio REALTORS. He also serves on the joint committee of the Toledo Bar Association and Northwest Ohio REALTORS tasked with updating and revising the form of residential real estate purchase agreement and related addendum commonly used throughout Northwest Ohio.
Mr. Johnson is a member of the Toledo Bar Association, and previously served as both the chairperson and secretary of that organization’s Real Estate Committee. Mr. Johnson is also a member of the Georgia Bar Association and the Michigan State Bar Association.
Publications & News
- May 20, 2021
- April 1, 2020
- September 1, 2011
- April 22, 2008
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Compliance Tips for Landlords and Property ManagersJanuary 26, 2021
- June 11, 2020
- May 22, 2020
- March 28, 2020
- May 8, 2019
- January 13, 2017
- February 10, 2016
- July 17, 2015
- June 9, 2009