- Ohio, 2005
- U.S. District Courts:
- Northern District of Ohio, 2005
- Southern District of Ohio, 2017
- Western District of Michigan, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 2009
- Hon. Jack Zouhary of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio.
University of Toledo College of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 2005
The Ohio State University, B.A. (Music), 2002
Adam S. Nightingale focuses his practice in the areas of complex business and commercial litigation, federal white-collar criminal defense and insurance coverage/recovery. He also has experience with legal malpractice defense, franchise litigation and a wide variety of general litigation matters. Additionally, Mr. Nightingale has represented individuals and businesses in civil and administrative licensing matters with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. Mr. Nightingale is an associate in our Business Litigation and White Collar Crime and Investigations Practice Groups.
After receiving a bachelor of arts in music from The Ohio State University in 2002, Mr. Nightingale graduated magna cum laude from the University of Toledo College of Law in 2005. During law school, he served as assistant executive editor of the University of Toledo Law Review and externed for two semesters in the chambers of the Hon. Judge David A. Katz of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio. After law school, Mr. Nightingale served as the first judicial law clerk to the then-newly-appointed Hon. Jack Zouhary of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio.
Mr. Nightingale has presented at various seminars on topics including electronic discovery, protective orders, professionalism and litigation of high-profile cases.
Examples of Mr. Nightingale's legal experience, as either lead or assisting counsel, include:
- Represented a defendant in a three-week federal criminal trial involving an alleged $23 million wire fraud.
- Worked with a group of attorneys who obtained a reversal in the Ohio Supreme Court of a denial of insurance coverage for injured members of a university baseball team under three university insurance policies totaling $21 million in insurance coverage.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in administrative license-revocation proceedings initiated by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and permanent injunction on behalf of a local business arising from trademark infringement and violation of the Ohio Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in a suit against its insurance company for breach of a multi-million-dollar settlement agreement.
- Negotiated a favorable pre-indictment resolution for a defendant investigated in connection with an alleged multi-million-dollar mortgage fraud scheme.
- Represented a national franchising company in litigation regarding termination of the company's food distributor.
- Represented a Big Three automaker in post-bankruptcy arbitration proceedings with terminated dealers.
Honors & Affiliations
Mr. Nightingale is an active member of the Toledo legal community. He is a past president of the Toledo Junior Bar Association and a member of the board of governors of the University of Toledo College of Law Alumni Affiliate. He is involved with several committees of the Toledo Bar Association, and is a past member of its board of directors. In addition to the Toledo Bar Association, Mr. Nightingale is a member of the Ohio State and American Bar Associations, and the Northern District of Ohio Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
Honors & Awards
He has been named an Ohio Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers in 2010, 2012 and 2014-2017.
Publications & News
- December 2, 2016
- September 1, 2016
- January 21, 2016