- Ohio, 2020
- University of Toledo, J.D. magna cum laude, 2019
- University of Toledo, B.S. (paralegal studies) summa cum laude, 2016
Detail Oriented. Forward Thinking. Strong Negotiator. These are just a few of the skills associate Ashley B. Weis developed as in-house counsel and brings to her representation of corporate clients.
Her experience entails a wide variety of business and legal matters including contracts, secured transactions, real estate, M&A, intellectual property, employment policies, franchise disclosures and legal compliance. At Eastman & Smith her practice encompasses:
- Counseling franchisors in the sale of franchises, including drafting/reviewing of franchise disclosure documents, franchise agreements and state registrations.
- Guiding franchisees through the acquisition or sale of a franchised business.
- Advising on business entity selection, formation and corporate governance.
- Establishing data privacy legal compliance programs for businesses.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts and other legal documents.
- Advising companies on mergers, acquisitions and corporate reorganizations.
- Managing real estate lease, purchase and sales transactions.
- Preparing and reviewing secured transactions and corporate financing.
She is part of the Firm’s Business Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, Intellectual Property and Real Estate Law Practice Groups.
While studying for her law degree, Ms. Weis was employed as a full-time paralegal for four years by a large franchisor company, managing many activities in their legal department. Following her graduation from law school, where she finished first in her class, and admission to the Ohio Bar, she assumed the additional responsibilities of corporate counsel for that company.
In addition to her employment and studies, Ms. Weis was executive editor of the University of Toledo Law Review and a student attorney for the Toledo Tax Controversy Clinic.
Ms. Weis resides in Perrysburg, Ohio. An avid musician, she spends time playing piano, violin and harp, and loves to catch a symphony concert whenever she can.
Honors & Affiliations
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising
- Ohio State Bar Association (Corporate Counsel Section)
- Toledo Bar Association (Finance Committee, 2021 - Present)
- Toledo GROWs (member, board of directors)
Honors & Awards
- First Place, Ohio State Bar Association Law Student Writing Competition, 2019
- Ranked first in law school graduating class.
- 99th percentile on Ohio bar exam
- Order of the Coif
Publications & News
- August 15, 2022
Publications & Newsletters
- Tip Jars in Need of Change: The Case for Reforming Employee Tip Regulations in the Fair Labor Standard ActUniversity of Toledo Law Review, 2019
- December 27, 2022