- Ohio, 1984
- U.S. District Courts:
Northern District of Ohio
Southern District of Ohio
Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court
University of Toledo, JD, 1984
University of Toledo, MBA, 1978
The Ohio State University, BA, 1975
Environmental, land use, natural resources, regulatory and zoning are areas of law in which Brian P. Barger practices. Mr. Barger, of counsel, is an attorney in our Columbus office.
Mr. Barger has experience representing clients both in court and before administrative agencies such as the Ohio EPA and Ohio Department of Natural Resources. Prior work experience includes employment by companies in the mining and gas industries.
He has been involved in lobbying as well as in drafting legislation and administrative rules pertaining to the mining industry. This includes:
- drafting Ohio's Great Lakes Compact regulatory program (HB 473 of the 129th General Assembly). As part of this effort, Mr. Barger was appointed by the Speaker of the Ohio House to the Division of Soil and Water Resources advisory group. This group develops additional facets of the regulatory program for the Great Lakes Compact.
- acting as the primary author for SB 83 (124th General Assembly) which updated and revised the laws pertaining to surface mining found in chapter 1514 of the Ohio Revised Code.
- writing a number of revisions to county and township zoning laws found in chapters 303 and 519 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Author and speaker are two other roles Mr. Barger plays. Additionally, he has been quoted in the media regarding the Great Lakes Compact, mining and other issues.
In addition to law, Mr. Barger's passions also include sailing. He has sailed in the Caribbean and Mediterranean as well as throughout the Great Lakes.
Honors & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- National Stone Sand & Gravel Association's Council of Counsels
- Ohio Aggregates and Industrial Minerals Association
- Ohio Farm Bureau's Healthy Water Ohio work group
- Ohio Forestry Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
In 2016, Mr. Barger was appointed by Governor Kasich to the Executive Order of the Ohio Commodore. Membership in this organization is available to people who have positively affected economic development in Ohio.
Publications & News
- January 11, 2017
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Recorded 4-22-20April 22, 2020
- "Water Law Considerations for Oil and Gas Development"Second Annual Ohio Oil and Gas Law Symposium
- "Regulating Water Use Within the Great Lakes Basin Under the Compact"Eleventh Annual Great Lakes Water Conference
- "Great Lakes Issues"Ohio State Bar Association's 2013 Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar
Publications & Newsletters
- "Land Use and Zoning"OAIMA Environmental Compliance Manual