- Ohio, 1983
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 1984
- US District Courts:
-Northern District, Ohio, 1984
-Southern District, Ohio, 2005
-Eastern District, Michigan, 2002
-Western District, Michigan, 2005
-Western District, Tennessee, 2011
- University of Toledo, J.D, 1983
- University of Michigan, B.S. (Engineering), 1979
“Patents, trademarks and copyrights are the tools that businesses and entrepreneurs need to use to protect their intangible assets.”
Intellectual property attorney and fishing enthusiast David C. Purdue has nearly 40 years of experience protecting intellectual property assets, including patents, trademarks and copyrights, both nationally and internationally. For 35 years, he practiced with his father John Purdue, a Toledo chemical patent attorney and avid angler. The elder Mr. Purdue coached his son on the importance of listening to clients in order to assist them in protecting their intangible assets and achieving their goals.
Mr. Purdue represents clients in many industries including aerospace, adult beverages, cosmetics, film, food, hunting and fishing gear, investments, manufacturing, personal care products and restaurants. He is a frequent speaker, addressing businesses and entrepreneurs on issues relevant to patents, trademarks and copyrights.
After earning a degree in engineering from the University of Michigan, Mr. Purdue continued his education, obtaining a law degree from the University of Toledo. Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Purdue worked in several occupations, including as a machine operator and restaurant cook. Currently Mr. Purdue has an of counsel relationship with Eastman & Smith.
When not practicing law, Mr. Purdue can be found fishing in area waterways or spending time with his family (ideally doing both). He resides in Toledo with his wife Cathy Purdue. They have two adult children.
Examples of Mr. Purdue’s experience include:
- Preparing and prosecuting US and international patent and trademark applications.
- Enforcing clients’ intellectual property rights in cases of infringement.
- Providing opinions regarding the validity and scope of patents and trademarks.
- Representing European and Russian companies in connection with their US intellectual property.
Honors & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Association
- International Trademark Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Toledo Bar Association (past chair of Intellectual Property Committee, member of Federal Court Committee)
- Toledo Intellectual Property Law Association (past president)
- University of Toledo Center for Family & Privately-Held Business
Publications & News
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Trademarks, Patents, and Copyrights – Around the World in Less Than an HourThe University of Toledo College of Business and Innovation, Global Business Development InstituteOctober 2020
- When it Comes to Trademarks & Copyrights, Don't Do These Things!Handcrafted Soap & Cosmetic Guild US ConferenceSpring 2020
- The Works of Richard PrinceOwens Community College Networking FairMay 2017
- Make ‘em Yours and Put a Fence Around ‘em!”Handcrafted Soap & Cosmetic Guild US ConferenceSpring 2017
- Rolf TrademarkEntrepreneurial Tools for Business DevelopmentDecember 2015
- Copyright: Protect What’s Yours; Respect What’s TheirsHandcrafted Soap & Cosmetic Guild 2015 US ConferenceSpring 2015
- Trademarks and Branding: Make Your MarkHandcrafted Soap & Cosmetic Guild US ConferenceSpring 2014
- Copyright and the Big Deal!Arts Commission of Greater ToledoMarch 2013
- Copyright Basics of Filing and EnforcementToledo Bar Association, 2010