- Ohio, 1998
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1998
University of Toledo, B.S., 1993
David W. Carter proactively advises clients on all areas related to estate planning. His goal is to successfully formulate a plan tailored to each client’s needs while helping them understand the process and giving them confidence and peace of mind.
Mr. Carter, member, graduated from the University of Toledo (B.S., 1993) and the Thomas M. Cooley Law School (J.D. 1998). He concentrates his practice in the areas of estate planning; probate and trust administration; estate, gift and income taxation; and business succession planning. Mr. Carter joined Eastman & Smith after several years’ experience with a large financial institution, during which time he received his Certified Trust and Financial Advisor (CTFA) designation. He regularly addresses groups and participates in seminars designed to educate on the need for estate planning.
While at Eastman & Smith Ltd., Mr. Carter has:
- Assisted clients in estate planning to minimize estate taxes and to address future issues related to family dynamics, including asset management and protection for beneficiaries;
- Formulated and implemented a plan, which included irrevocable trusts, to leverage annual gifts amounts to reduce client’s taxable estate;
- Advised and implemented plan for client with a special needs child;
- Created succession plan for business owner that preserved business for future generations as well as assured the family’s ability to receive fair value at the owner’s death;
- Worked on preparation of federal estate tax return leveraging the borrowing of funds necessary to pay estate tax and using such expense as a deduction on the estate tax return; and
- Advised client on the strategy and implementation of a private settlement agreement to remove a corporate successor trustee and the appointment of an individual successor thereby reducing the trust’s yearly expenses.
Honors & Affiliations
Mr. Carter is an adjunct professor at the Thomas M. Cooley Law School and member of the Toledo Bar Association and Ohio Bar Association and has served on several charitable boards. In addition, Mr. Carter is an active member of the Ottawa Hills school and community.