Eastman & Smith's Response to COVID-19
To our valued clients and friends,
At Eastman & Smith we are closely monitoring developments regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak from the CDC and state and local health departments. We rely on the most up to date information possible when deciding our Firm’s course in response to the outbreak and the government’s responsive measures. We take the health and safety of our employees, clients, business partners, our legal communities and the community at large very seriously.
We have implemented the following measures in all of our Firm’s offices to ensure the safety of our employees and clients and to provide continuity of service to our clients:
- All of our attorneys and most of our staff have the ability to work remotely. We have implemented a plan to dramatically reduce the number of attorneys and staff members present at the office and to be prepared to work completely remotely in the likelihood that proves necessary in the coming weeks. Please be assured that our team is prepared to continue to provide the services you count on us for without interruption.
- Everyone in our Firm is expected to practice the CDC’s recommended prevention techniques. Any employee who feels ill or exhibits symptoms of illness must stay home.
- We postponed and will reschedule seminars and other in-person group training sessions. When feasible, our attorneys are hosting webinars addressing the impact of COVID-19 and how our clients and business partners can deal with this public health emergency.
- Our attorneys have been asked to temporarily curtail business travel that involves use of mass transit.
- Everyone in the Firm has been asked to practice social distancing measures, which includes suspension of in-person meetings unless absolutely necessary. Client meetings still will take place virtually or by telephone.
- We have been closely monitoring and responding to updated information regarding court and administrative agency dockets, procedures and deadlines. Courts and administrative agencies in Ohio and Michigan, other states and in the federal system where we represent clients have also been reacting to the rapidly changing situation. In person appearances have largely been reassigned to take place by telephone. Some courts are suspending trials and arguments and encouraging counsel to cooperate with postponing litigation activities, if necessary due to illness or other related circumstances.
We believe these common-sense measures will promote the health and safety of our staff, clients and communities with the least amount of disruption possible under the circumstances. We know that you are doing the same.
At Eastman & Smith, we are accustomed to solving legal problems in the balanced, well-reasoned manner our clients expect from our team and the unique challenges presented by this unprecedented public health matter are no different. Eastman & Smith attorneys work as a team to provide seamless service to our clients and our innovative approach to technology in our practice positions us well to respond to these unique circumstances. We are here to support our clients’ needs.
Our Firm has continuously provided legal services to our clients for more than 175 years, and we are committed to doing so during this challenging time. Should you have questions related to how you or your business should handle this situation as it evolves or have any other questions or concerns, please contact your counsel at Eastman & Smith. As we remain vigilant, we look forward to maintaining our strong working relationship with you and wish all of our clients and friends good health, safety and prosperity in the coming weeks. Our thoughts and best wishes are with all of you and with all in our communities.
Eastman & Smith Ltd.