- Ohio, 2005
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 2005
University of Toledo, J.D. and Certificate of Concentration in IP Law, 2005
University of Toledo, M.B.A., 1984
University of Toledo, B.S.M.E. (Mechanical Engineering), 1977
“Northwest Ohio has a rich history of intellectual property, ranging from improved chewing gum to advances in photovoltaic equipment. Throughout my legal career I have collaborated with clients to protect their IP assets.”
Intellectual property is protected by various means. C. Fred Charpie III has assisted clients with obtaining, managing and defending their copyrights, trademarks, patents and licenses as well as deciding, when appropriate, which property protection method may offer the best results. He has represented clients in a number of technological areas including:
- Vertical transportation systems including elevators, escalators, moving walks and man lifts;
- Parking violation enforcement systems;
- Building materials such as glass fiber composites, roofing, forestry products and fastening systems;
- Fluid handling systems;
- Pneumatic machinery and systems;
- Agricultural implements;
- Glass and ceramic forming machinery;
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC);
- Mechanical, encompassing automotive, electro-mechanical and manufacturing;
- Medical devices;
- Pumps, valves and related control equipment; and
- Internal combustion engines.
His clients operate in a range of industries such as construction, medical equipment and devices, auto parts manufacturing, novelty and entertainment.
Originally trained as a test engineer for a major jet engine corporation and later as a research and developmental engineer for an international elevator company, Mr. Charpie developed an attention to detail and first-hand knowledge of IP’s value that carries over into his legal practice.
Educating clients on IP issues and opportunities is one of Mr. Charpie’s goals. To that end, he regularly speaks at seminars and authors articles.
Prior to joining Eastman & Smith as a member, Mr. Charpie was employed by a law firm specializing in intellectual property law.
Mr. Charpie’s legal experience includes:
- Preparing, prosecuting and maintaining U.S. and international patent, trademark and copyright applications.
- Conducting patentability searches.
- Writing opinions regarding patentability of inventions.
- Searching for patent and trademark infringements.
- Providing opinions on patent and trademark infringement litigation.
- Drafting opinions regarding the validity of patents and trademarks.
- Negotiating and drafting licenses.
- Preparing U.S. and international patent, trademark and copyright licenses.
- Preparing assignments of patents and trademarks.
- Creating technology transfer agreements.
Honors & Affiliations
- Toledo Area Small Business Association (TASBA)
- Toledo Bar Association
- Toledo Intellectual Property Law Association (past president; past vice president; former secretary/treasurer)
- Toledo Patent Bar Association (past president)
Publications & News
Events & Speaking Engagements
- February 13, 2018
- Trademark Basics and the InternetToledo, OH, May 6, 2011
- Technology and Northwest OhioToledo, OH, March 4, 2011
- Ask a Patent AttornyToledo, OH, November 4, 2009
- Non-Traditional Tradmarks: SoundToledo, OH, October 7, 2009
- May 19, 2020
- April 14, 2020