- Ohio, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2008
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- Capital University, J.D. (valedictorian), 1995
- University of Maryland, B.A. with Honors magna cum laude (psychology), 1990
“The ultimate goal for my practice is educating clients to help avoid litigation, and in aggressive representation once an issue arises.”
Preventing legal issues takes several forms for Sara L. Rose, an of counsel attorney with Eastman & Smith. They include developing HR policies and procedures, educating supervisors on their implementation and keeping clients abreast of developments in employment law. As a former business owner and past chair of a chamber of commerce, Ms. Rose is well aware how good human resources practices benefit employers.
Ms. Rose has over 25 years of experience in employer’s rights, workers’ compensation law and employment litigation where she has represented clients in a number of industries including agriculture, banking, construction, government, health care, manufacturing, mining and retail. She is Central and Southern Ohio’s only attorney to be certified by the Ohio State Bar Association as a specialist in both workers’ compensation and labor and employment law.
While attending Capital University law school, Ms. Rose externed with the Honorable George C. Smith of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio. She also authored an article for the law review and was a member of the editorial board. Ms. Rose has an undergraduate degree in psychology with honors from the University of Maryland.
Ms. Rose’s philosophy of education continues with her interests. She is learning Spanish, a skill that will come in handy while she partakes of another hobby, travel, especially to Costa Rica. Ms. Rose and her husband reside in Pickerington, Ohio, where they enjoy spending time with their five grandchildren.
Ms. Rose’s experience includes:
- Defending employment law, workers’ compensation, VSSR, intentional tort and unemployment compensation claims.
- Representing employers before administrative agencies such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Equal Employment Opportunities Commission (EEOC) and Ohio Civil Right Commission (OCRC).
- Advising employers on day-to-day employment issues and developing strategies to help prevent future issues from arising.
- Writing human resource policies, procedures and handbooks.
- Conducting wage and hour audits.
- Reviewing job applications for legal compliance.
- Devising employer drug and alcohol compliance programs.
- Drafting independent contractor agreements and covenants not to compete.
Honors & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Capital University Law School Alumni Association (1999 - 2001)
- Columbus Bar Association
- Fairfield Bar Association (Ethics Committee member, 2019 - Present)
- Franklin County Settlement Week (mediator, 1995 - 2004)
- Ohio Society of Human Resource Management’s Governmental Affairs Strategy Board (founding member, 2000 -2008)
- Ohio State Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Board of Governors, 1999 - 2006)
- 100 Women Who Care of Fairfield County (co-founder)
- Foundations for Intercultural Travel (local area representative, 2006 - 2008)
- Girl Scouts of Ohio’s Heartland (board of directors, 2011 - 2017)
- Grace Fellowship Church, Pickerington (community outreach and missions coordinator, 2006 - 2007)
- Pickerington Area Chamber of Commerce (chair, 2003; member 2000 - 2005)
- Pickerington Violet Festival (2000 - 2005)
- Reynoldsburg United Methodist Women’s Walk to Emmaus #70 (2007)
Honors & Awards
- Community Service Award from Pickerington Area Chamber of Commerce, 2001
- Lancaster Fairfield County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors Outstanding Service Award, 2003
- New Business of the Quarter, 2002
- Ohio Super Lawyer, 2004 and 2005
- Order of the Curia
- Top Lawyer by Columbus CEO, 2016
Publications & News
- June 7, 2021