- Ohio, 2020
North Carolina, 2020
South Carolina, 2020
- U.S. Tax Court, 2020
- University of Toledo, JD, 2019
- University of Western Ontario, BA (with honors), 2014
As a former professional hockey goalie and coach, Josh K. Unice knows the value of protecting assets and planning for the future.
Properly prepared legal documents can protect business interests, personal assets and future plans, just as proper strategy, planning and equipment can stop a goal. As an associate in Eastman & Smith’s Business Law, Real Estate, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Practice Groups, Mr. Unice focuses on providing his clients with legal services that both prepare clients to operate now and in the future. His services include:
- Counseling companies involved in mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and divestures.
- Handling real estate transactions including property sales and leases.
- Advising on business issues such as entity selection and formation.
- Developing and reviewing franchise agreements.
- Drafting contracts, agreements and other legal documents.
- Creating and administering estate plans, trusts and probate.
- Providing tax planning advice.
Mr. Unice has assisted companies in many industries, including construction, health care and services. Additionally, Mr. Unice has knowledge on local customs in Australia, Canada and Europe, as his hockey career found him in the employ of teams in these regions.
While earning is undergraduate degree in criminology and sociology, Mr. Unice was a sales representative for a sporting goods company. He then earned his law degree from the University of Toledo, during which time he interned with a public defender and worked full time as a law clerk for a local law firm.
Honors & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Business Networking International – Madison Avenue Chapter
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Toledo Bar Association
- Toledo Estate Planning Counsel
- Wealth Management Society of Northwest Ohio
Honors & Awards
- Highest Ranking Student in Tax Controversy, University of Toledo, 2018
- National Hockey League, Drafted 86th by Chicago Blackhawks, 2007
- Represented USA Hockey at the Under-17, Under-18 and Under-20 World Championships