- Ohio, 2008
- Michigan, 2020
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 2018
Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2008
Bard College, B.A., with honors, 2005
Emilie K. Vassar currently practices in the areas of labor, employment, employee benefits and education law. Ms. Vassar is an associate in our Labor & Employment Practice Group and is based in our Toledo office.
Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Vassar worked in education law both in private practice and in-house with a community school sponsor. In these roles, she assisted community schools in maintaining compliance with state and federal laws, rules and regulations, affecting many areas of operation including governance, employee rights, student rights and health and safety. She also managed community school contracts (charters) as well as drafted school and employee policies.
At Eastman & Smith, Ms. Vassar’s practice covers the range of employment issues, including:
- Disability Accommodation & Leaves of Absence
- Discrimination & Harassment
- Hiring, Performance Management & Termination
- Litigation & Trial
- Policies & Procedures (Handbooks)
- Retaliation & Whistleblowing
- Wage & Hour
- Employee Benefits
While in law school, Ms. Vassar was the executive editor of the Public Interest Law Journal. She also authored “Breaking the Norm: Accurate Evaluation of English Language Learners with Special Education Needs” which appears in the 2007 issue of the publication.
When not practicing law, Ms. Vassar enjoys spending time with her husband and two young daughters. She is also invested in the success of Toledo’s performing arts community, particularly the Toledo Symphony and Toledo Ballet.
Honors & Affiliations
Ms. Vassar is a member of:
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Toledo Bar Association
- Toledo Women’s Bar Association
Publications & News
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Recorded 4-30-2020April 30, 2020
- Supreme Court Holds Employers May Not Discriminate Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Under Title VIIJune 23, 2020
- September 10, 2019
- March 11, 2019