- Ohio, 1991
- U.S. District Courts:
-Northern District of Ohio
-Northern District of Mississippi
University of Toledo, J.D. magna cum laude, 1991
Bowling Green State University, B.S. (Medical Technology), 1981
David W. Nunn has more than 25 years of experience in environmental law. Mr. Nunn was an ASCP-registered medical technologist prior to joining Eastman & Smith. “My experience in the health care sector provided me with a science-based background and service orientation that has served me well throughout my career as an attorney. My practice regularly requires the merging of technology, law and business in order to achieve my client’s unique goals and objectives.” Mr. Nunn is a member of Eastman & Smith.
He graduated with a B.S. in medical technology from Bowling Green State University in 1981. Mr. Nunn received his J.D. from the University of Toledo, magna cum laude, in1991. He was admitted to practice law in Ohio in 1991, and is also admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio and Northern District of Mississippi. He teaches and speaks on environmental topics at local colleges, community events and legal seminars.
Mr. Nunn and his wife, Lisa, have three children, a young granddaughter and two dogs. He and his wife spend much of their free time with their children, all of whom still live locally, and are thrilled about their new grandparent status. They also enjoy golfing, as well as attending sporting events and music concerts of all kinds.
- Obtaining an emergency state grant of approximately $14 million and litigation settlement of $3.9 million for a school district client, resulting in expedited construction of a new school.
- Successfully defending a client in toxic tort litigation involving over 1,200 plaintiffs, resulting in a favorable pre-trial settlement.
- Negotiating an innovative arbitration agreement in a $30 million+ complex environmental allocation case involving two potentially responsible parties and timely resolving the arbitration so the parties could cooperatively undertake a major river mediation project with the EPA.
Successfully defending administrative as well as judicial federal and state enforcement actions involving numerous areas of environmental compliance, including hazardous waste, solid waste and landfills, wastewater treatment, NPDES and storm water permitting, wetlands, air emissions and permitting, and emergency planning and community right-to-know requirements.
Serving as lead counsel for PRP groups and serving on behalf of clients on numerous PRP steering, executive, allocation and technical committees at CERCLA sites throughout the country.
- Successfully negotiating numerous sales and purchases of environmentally-challenged properties, including developing due diligence strategies and utilizing voluntary clean-up agreements, environmental insurance, and EPA “brownfield” tools to facilitate transactions.
Honors & Affiliations
Mr. Nunn is a member of the American Bar Association (Natural Resources Section), Ohio State Bar Association (Environmental Section) and Toledo Bar Association. He is also an associate in the Environmental Law Institute as well as a long-time volunteer and supporter of the Black Swamp Conservancy, the largest land trust in Northwest Ohio. TMACOG, the Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments, has Mr. Nunn on its board of directors. A supporter of the United Way, Mr. Nunn actively served in 2016 on the Campaign Cabinet for the United Way of Greater Toledo. Additionally Mr. Nunn is active in non-profit and public entities with a local focus on important environmental and economic development issues.
Honors & Awards
Martindale Hubbell has rated Mr. Nunn as AV and he has been recognized as a top environmental lawyer.
Publications & News
- March 19, 2021
- September 1, 2016
- October 18, 2012
- August 31, 2010
- March 24, 2008
- Black Swamp Conservancy Assisted by Eastman & Smith in Establishing Conservation Easement to Preserve and Restore Wetlands at Pearson ParkJanuary 23, 2008
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Virtual, September 2021
- September 9, 2009
- September 9, 2009
- October 1, 2007
- June 1, 2007